Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/10553/73994
Title: Distant or close cousins: Connectedness between cryptocurrencies and traditional currencies volatilities
Authors: Andrada Félix, Julián 
Fernández Pérez,Adrián 
Sosvilla Rivero,Simón Javier 
UNESCO Clasification: 53 Ciencias económicas
Keywords: Exchange rates
Cryptocurrencies
Connectedness
Time-varying parameters
Stepwise regressions
Issue Date: 2019
Publisher: Universitat de Barcelona
Abstract: This paper examines the volatility interconnection between the main cryptocurrencies and traditional currencies during the period of February 2014-September 2018 using both a framework proposed by Diebold and Yilmaz (2014) and the modified approach of Antonakakis and Gabauer (2017). Our results suggest that a 34.43%, of the total variance of the forecast errors is explained by shocks across the eight examined cryptocurrencies and traditional currencies, indicating that the remainder 65.57% of the variation is due to idiosyncratic shocks. Furthermore, we find that volatility connectedness varies over time, with a surge during periods of increasing economic and financial instability. When we aggregate both markets by blocks, we find that the block of traditional currencies and the block of cryptocurrencies are mostly disconnected with periods of mild net volatility spill over between both blocks. Finally, our findings suggest that financial market variables are the main drivers of total connectedness within the traditional currencies, while the cryptocurrency-specific variables are identified as the key determinant for the total connectedness within the traditional currencies and a combination of business cycles and cryptocurrency-specific variables explain the directional volatility connectedness between both blocks.
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/10553/73994
Source: Document de Treball 2019/12 (IREA)
URL: http://dialnet.unirioja.es/servlet/articulo?codigo=7025446
Appears in Collections:Documento de trabajo
Thumbnail
pdf
Adobe PDF (3,12 MB)
Show full item record

Page view(s)

16
checked on Sep 20, 2020

Download(s)

6
checked on Sep 20, 2020

Google ScholarTM

Check


Share



Export metadata



Items in accedaCRIS are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.